Sunday, February 9, 2020

Oscars Academy Award Best Picture OpEd 2020

My thoughts below, yours in the comment section. 

Ford V. Ferrari 

It's fine? It's a sports movie, maybe? Maybe a movie about a nice guy who wins, also about America being the best? Hard to say what the messaging was. I wasn't impressed or unimpressed. I was not entertained. I think this is the Green Book of this year, its so bland that it becomes the defacto winner because no one will dislike it? Who knows/cares. 

The Irishman
I watched as much as I could. It was like a VERY long form vine clip about the mafia. Same looped storyline about how the mob worked... which is exactly how you think it works. Well acted. Mildly well written. Too boring. Which is different than being too long. I've watched over 300 hours of Grey's Anatomy and they have my attention still. Ok, bye. 

Jojo Rabbit
Thought I would appreciate the art of this, but dislike the movie. T'was the other way around. I liked it a lot, but wasn't as well crafted as I kept reading and hearing. It was good, my 2nd favorite. Not sure how they made Hilter a whimsical, acceptable punchline - well, I do know, they straight-up made fun of him and highlighted how idiots fell for him. Much like MAGA/KAGA idiots now. The movie is a parody. I'd be ok with this winning because I did like it and then it would reach more choir members to preach to. 

Joker
Didn't see because I hate watching gore. I like Joaquin. 

Little Women
It was nice. So dramatic. Though, a remake and nothing groundbreaking. And idk who edited it, but they didn't do their job well. 

Marriage Story
Disappointed myself for finishing this. It was impressive because it was so dialogue heavy and the leads both had strong performances. Other than that, it was not worth it. 

1917 
[Editor's note: this was listed here, in this order, which is supposedly 'alphabetical'. Ok, yes if it were titled "Nineteen seventeen" it would be in order, but as you should know: in text any number over ten should be numeric and under ten should be written out long form, so 1917 is correct... however, all numeric things go before "A" when sorting alphabetically, I know these things, the Academy doesn't. Also, this could be wrong because I'm too lazy to google, but I'm pretty sure].

1917 should win. It was a cinematography gift. Well job. Incredible story telling. Innovative. Delicate subject. A few years ago I said we shouldn't make war movies any more, but here we are. 

Once Upon A Time in Hollywood
I should have liked it more than I did. It was charming and full of beautiful people. Well acted. I like the gimmick of a movie with in a movie (though we didn't need to watch the whole feature). I often say whatever it is you've got, give people MORE. I guess I am not talking to Q. Tarantino, because this move reeked of him. I like salt on my food; this movie is over salted, warm buttered movie theater popcorn

Parasite
Did you see Gone Girl? Girl on a Train? A Simple Favor? This is that. Those are this. Interchangeable. You'll never be able to unconvince (not a word) me the only real reason this got the nod was because elites love to be pretentious with their subtitled foreign films. This is your basic psychological thriller with dark twisty turns and a dash of comedy. Don't come at me with "it had layers of international class warfare though!". So did Crazy Rich Asians and it wasn't nominated and I'd say it's on the same level. I liked both movies, they were enjoyable, but this and that aren't anything to hand an Oscar to. Shouldn't win. Might win. 

No comments: