Saturday, February 23, 2019

Oscars 2019: Academy Awards Best Picture Nominations

In alphabetical order... my opinions. 

Black Panther- Have not seen. 

Blackkklansman- This was the best movie (not my favorite one nominated, though my 2nd). It was just better than the others. It was creative, well written, entertaining, and had a solid message that was relevant when it happened and now. It was over the top Spike-style, but the story itself is over the top so the style worked for it. The acting was good, and not distracting. It explores racism, which is always polarizing and somehow it makes heroes out of the police, which is a complex juxtaposition to what is currently going on with our current racial tensions... I applaud Spike Lee for his master directing and writing. I also decry criticism that this movie takes too many liberties on writing history... it was based off a true events (not a true story), no one is claiming it is a documentary. It was well paced, drew me in, made me think, made me laugh, it did it's job. 

Bohemian Rhapsody- An overly generous homage to the band Queen, and a bit of a weird (read: inaccurate) take on Freddy Mercury, overacted by Rami Malek. He was begging for the Best Actor win the entire time, and it might have worked... because he isn't a bad actor, he was just like "DO YOU SEE ME?!". In addition to that, the entire costume shop & make up artist teams should be ashamed of their work. Overall, this movie was actually poorly made, but people seemed to like it. Even I didn't dislike it... maybe it was the music that tricked everyone into liking it?  

The Favourite- Not my favorite or my favourite. It had so much potential, could have been something, but wasn't nearly witty enough for itself.  Well acted by all. Olivia Coleman should win for best actress. She was capable to do what the movie failed to do: be believably wickedly fun. Emma Stone and Rachel Weisz were also both nominated for Best Supporting Actress, they were just so unpleasant to the point of being unpalatable. There should have been far more winks from this movie, there were none. There should have been more charisma, there was none. 

Green Book- Don't do a movie about rejecting stereotypes by having a stereotype side-kick. Let me tell you: I was never surprised, let alone delighted, by a black man doing the right thing. I was however disappointed, rolling my eyes, at the side-kick character being a New York Italian-American thug who has mafia friends and eats like a beast and has pasta dinners with his loud family. 

Roma-  Confession: I didn't finish watching this beautifully boring movie. It just isn't the best picture of the year. They spent 10+ minutes showing us the undercarriage of a car parking in a tight space. There was a twist; there was a little doggie doo-do that may or may not be ran over by the car. Also, making a movie in black and white is such a cheap novelty; don't try to distract my attention with this eye-catching ploy... it was set in the 70's, when they literally had color film. Next.

A Star is Born- My favorite to watch of the bunch, I wouldn't mind this winning. What carried the movie was beautiful & talented people telling a time-tested story. Lady Gaga did a good job for being not-an-actress, but she wasn't worthy of any nomination herself.  Cooper proved himself as a solid director. He should probably always direct himself as an actor, because it worked. He is nominated for the performance, deserved. The soundtrack also blurred out many flaws. This movie plays like a first album; Bradly's directing and screenwriting debut, Gaga's acting debut. These people might just have a shot in Hollywood, lol. 

Vice- I guess they didn't think a movie called "Lynne" was going to sell... so instead of titling it "Vice Wife" (which totally would have sold, because it's an almost rhyme)… anyway, they made a movie about Lynne Cheney and they sprinkled in scenes of Dick rising to power and making bad choices. It is like if The Big Short was about politics and instead of teaching us about how it all works, they just "teach us" about what a dick Dick Cheney was.



P.S. AMC A-list is the best 


1 comment:

Jennifer Fox said...

Thanks for watching all these movies for me. I only saw Black Panther (loved it) and half of Roma. I guess I need to check out A Star Is Born.